Old State Capitol Building
The Old Capitol Building was the seat of Georgia’s government from 1807 to 1868. Georgia’s secession convention was even held inside its walls in 1861. But in less than four years Georgia was in flames, the capitol amongst them. General Sherman burned all government records up to 1864, including the state library, throwing all the leather-bound books into a flaming pyre in the moat outside the building. From 1871 to 1880 the building was used as Baldwin County’s courthouse. In 1880 it was converted into a school of higher learning – the Middle Georgia Military and Agricultural College – now known as Georgia Military College.
On especially dark and quiet nights, the sounds of infantry marching across the green can be heard where the state militia once drilled and performed field marches. Some have even heard footsteps following them through the building, but when they turn around, no one is there. A Confederate sentry has also been spotted marching from the gate at the capitol, down Greene Street, all the way to the governor’s mansion and then back again. And sometimes when the wind blows just right, students can hear what sounds like a flute or trumpet playing as if there is still a bugler playing his song.