Allen's Market, 1911
Allen's Market was built in 1911 for Alonzo Slater and his intent was to use it as a funeral home. Mr. Slater ran low on funding and had to sell the building, so it opened as a family-owned grocery store instead.
The building was renovated in the 1990's to house Allied Arts classroom, meeting, and theatre space. The lower level features a stage and concession bar. Upstairs is classroom space for youth and adult art and theatre classes. In 2016, Friends of Allied Arts refurbished and rehung the original Allen's Market sign.
Black Heritage Plaza
Black Heritage Plaza was dedicated in 2003 to commemorate and celebrate the rich African-American history in Milledgeville and contributions to the town's social and economic development. The Plaza is located behind Allen's Market, next to the Milledgeville police department.